Let Us Help (Non-Emergency)

If you have a question or would like to report an issue that will receive next business day attention please complete the Non-Emergency Concern or Question Form. Or if you prefer, you may email the District directly.

If you need to report a problem or concern needing an immediate response please call:  425.392.6256. 

Examples of next business day issues:

  • Questions regarding your bill
  • Whether your payment has been received  
  • People on District property
  • People hooked up to a hydrant (please include location, time, license plate and company name if available)
  • Cross connection/backflow assembly inquiries
  • Fats, oils and grease (FOG) questions
  • Other non-emergency questions or issues